For most of you who are regular readers of this site, you know that the “College Football Weekend Recap” has been a staple of what I do here. Every Sunday for the past two years, I wrote a whole lot on college football; on the biggest stories, the goofiest plays, announcer mishaps, you name it. It was a lot of fun, and always got great feedback from all of you, which- as you all know- I’m incredibly grateful for.
But with a new year and a new college football season, I’ve decided to do something different, and turn the college football weekend recap…into a video recap. That’s right, rather than getting a whole lot of words on paper, you get my ugly mug on the screen. And really, what’s better than that? (You know, besides everything)
In all seriousness though, I did think it was time for a change.
As much as I enjoyed writing the recap in years past, I did find that it got a little “dry” at times, and wasn’t always my best writing. After all, even if I spend 12 hours a day on the couch watching football (or in the case of yesterday… 17!), there is only so much I can pick up on and there are only so many interesting things to write about. And at times, I sometimes felt like I was writing a lot about games that I didn’t have a lot of opinion on. Simply put, you guys deserve nothing but my best writing. And I didn’t feel like I was providing it with the weekend recap by the end of last season.
So this year, I figured, why not try a video? You might not want to read 3,000 words on a weekend game, but maybe you wouldn’t mind a few minutes of listening to aduio it instead? Hopefully I’ll make the same points, in the same interesting way, and hopefully make you think about things differently as well. Besides, what’s the down side? If you don’t like it, I can always turn this into a podcast or go back to writing, right?
Anyway, here’s the first weekend recap video.
As always I encourage you to share your opinions, insights and what you think. Do you like it? Do you not like it? What should I be doing differently? Do I not have a face for TV and should stick to writing? I’ll be curious to hear what you have to say.
As for the particulars of the Week 1 recap, here’s what I discussed (I also put the time where the topic was discussed in the video as well)
- (1:00) Alabama’s dominance of Michigan, and why I was more impressed with Alabama’s defense than their high-powered offense. Also, why one play truly summed up the entire game.
- (4:40) Why, even in a close game, Clemson and Tajh Boy in specifically showed me a lot. Also, why Auburn showed me a lot to be concerned about.
- (7:23) Why USC and Oregon gave me everything I needed to see Saturday, and why I have a hard time believing anyone will beat them before they play each other on November 3.
- (10:28) Which teams impressed me the most this weekend, including BYU, Tennessee and Notre Dame (Also, I forgot to mention Boise in the video, but I’d definitely lump them into that group too).
- (13:46) Why I was impressed by Urban Meyer’s debut at Ohio State, but do have some big picture concerns for the club.
- (15:10) And finally, why Michigan State and Florida were two teams that left me quite underwhelmed.
Again, this is a new venture and something completely new to me. So as always, let me know what you think, good, bad or ugly. Also- if by some crazy chance you do like it- feel free to subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Youtube channel, where I’ll be posting these videos weekly (assuming ya’ll give me good feedback)
Thanks again… and it’s great to be back talking college football!
Also for his continued take on all things sports, and updates on his articles, podcasts and giveaways, be sure to follow Aaron on Twitter @Aaron_Torres, Facebook.com/AaronTorresSports or by downloading the Aaron Torres Sports App for FREE for your iPhone or Android Phones)