Of every coach in college football, there might not be a single more divisive and controversial one than the man coaching the preseason No. 1 team in the country- USC’s Lane Kiffin. But according to someone who recently spent time with Kiffin, the same coach who is divisive and controversial may be the most misunderstood guy in the sport as well.
To listen to the podcast on this website, click the green box below
To download the podcast straight from iTunes, please click here
To subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast, please click here
To listen to the podcast on your iPhone or Android please click here
That man who feels that way is CBS Sports national columnist Gregg Doyel who spent some time with Kiffin last week and penned this excellent profile of the USC coach titled "Sorry to disappoint, but Lane Kiffin isn't the jerk you think he is." Kiffin misunderstood? Doyel thinks so, and on Tuesday he joined the show to discuss his time with Kiffin, his impressions of the man and much more.
Included in our rapid-fire 20-minute conversation:
- Why it was actually the suggestion of colleague Dennis Dodd that brought Doyel to Kiffin’s doorstep, and why it only came after Doyel realized that he didn’t dislike the “USC Lane Kiffin” nearly as much as the “Tennessee Lane Kiffin.”
- Why it was actually Kiffin who actually opened the conversation by apologizing for his behavior at Tennessee and why Doyel was taken aback by Kiffin’s self-reflection and introspection.
- Why Doyel truly does believe Kiffin has changed from the immature guy he was at Tennessee, and why he also understands why Kiffin actually the way he did while on Rocky Top.
- What the reaction to Doyel’s column has been by casual college football fans, and why there are still some people who will never believe that Kiffin has changed, regardless of what anyone writes.
- What Kiffin does on the recruiting trail that makes kids like him so much. He’s not as dynamic as some other coaches, but it’s impossible to deny his success.
- And finally why the opinion Doyel’s opinion on Kiffin has irrevocably changed, at least for the time being.
Folks, there simply isn’t a more interesting person in college football than Lane Kiffin right now, and few that have gotten to know him on the one-on-one personal basis that Doyel did last week. If you’re looking for an honest and constructive profile on Kiffin the person, as much as the coach than this is an episode of the Aaron Torres Sports podcast that you have to listen to.
Speaking of the interview, you can access it in any number of ways. If you can’t listen to the show live here, you can always download it straight from iTunes, just by searching for the “Aaron Torres Sports Podcast.” You can also subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast by clicking here.
And finally (and maybe most importantly to some of you!), please remember that Exclusiv Vodka is now an official sponsor of the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast. And as a thank you for listening, they want to give you a free bottle of their product.
To be entered all you’ve got to do is go to Exclusiv’s Facebook page at Facebook.com/ExclusivVodka. From there, be sure to “Like” their product, and then tag yourself with Exclusiv and the phrase “Aaron Torres Sports Podcast.” Do that, and you’ll be automatically entered to win a free bottle.
Regardless, I want to quickly thank Gregg again for joining the show, and thank you for taking the time to listen.
We will back later this week with another exciting guest on the show.