As crazy as it sounds, the NFL Draft is now a mere days away, with the first round kicking off next Thursday. Seriously, how crazy is that?
(To listen to the podcast, click the green box below. Or to download straight into your iTunes library, click here)
Either way, on Tuesday, I welcomed National Small School writer Matt Elder of Examiner.com onto the podcast to discuss all the prevailing storylines heading into next week. We spent nearly an hour talking NFL Draft, discussing some of the following topics:
- “With the first overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select…” In other words, who Matt thinks Carolina should take with the first pick, and they will take with the first pick.
- If character issues with quarterbacks Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett are valid, and whether they should impact their draft stock.
- How Blaine Gabbert might be a bit overvalued entering the draft based on the system he played in at Missouri.
- Why defensive players like Marcell Dareus, Von Miller and Nick Fairley might need to go the right “system,” to succeed.
- Why it’s dumb for NFL teams to pass on Patrick Peterson if he’s believed to be the best “football player,” in the draft.